Sunday, October 25, 2009

My New Blackberry

So, I finally broke down and bought the next 'crave' in phones: the Blackberry. For months, I've heard people talk about how it is so amazing to be so connected to several, if not all, their email accounts, facebook, as well as the Web. My friends would receive emails on their phones in class, while I'd have to wait til the next chance I had to sit down at my laptop to check mine. What's the weather going to be like? Oh, let me check my Blackberry...and on and on.
I have to admit, for the first few days, I was amazed at how my new phone worked. I had so many options, could readily surf the Web, and let me tell you how excited I was when I'd get an email...woah. It was awesome to be so connected- I felt like I had finally caught up with current times.
However, I feel differently now. Although I have learned to manage my phone settings, I don't necessarily enjoy receiving emails at all hours of the day. I like being in the know, but 24/7 is a bit much for me. I miss the days when I could take a day to respond to an email, because the sender didn't know when I'd next check my mail. Now, it seems, that people assume others have email attached to their phones, and can answer their request within the hour.
I don't enjoy being so connected. It makes me wonder, are people getting too attached to their technology?
I remember before I had this phone, I had friends who wouldn't put their Blackberries down. I would be talking to them while they'd pretty much be having another conversation with/on their phone. I felt out of touch- where did person to person communication go?
Now, I feel like I've become one of those people I disliked. With this new technology at my fingertips, I am constantly checking my phone to read an email or surf the web. It truly is like an addiction- an addiction I no longer want to have!

2 comments:

  1. This is very interesting. I think I would feel the same way if I got a blackberry or some web mobile device. I imagine many feel this way, but you are brave enough to admit it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My old roomate was so addicted we renamed her phone her 'crackberry'

    ReplyDelete